View Single Post
Old 14th Jul 2021, 2:16 pm   #1
stevie23
Pentode

Default Ferrogaph 2A amplifier hum.

Hello people. I am doing a little more work on one of my Ferrographs. This one is the 2nd of 2As I have. Transport seems to be working. These wearite decks seem to be able to stand the test of time. I've take the amplifier and power units out of the machine and I have found a date stamp for 1958 so only 63 years old. . I've removed the double capacitor (C24/26). The 16uf side (red) is measuring 9.6uF with a vloss of 18% and an ESR of 47 ohm. The 8uF side (yellow) is measuring 7.065uF with a vloss of 17% and an ESR of 47 ohm. I'm using one of these new fangled chinese toy things (TC1). I'm not sure I trust it fully. I've been advised to change this cap in particular. I can order them from Cricklewood. Awful humming with oscillation upon turning the gain control. (I couldnt upload the video - whats the criteria?). The other caps are mainly TCC metalmite/metalpack although there is also a paper cap at C10 (50mfd). The smaller value non electrolytic I believe are mostly harmless (or am I wrong )?