View Single Post
Old 14th Oct 2021, 8:49 pm   #99
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Default Re: Commodore PET 2001 voltage regulators

Agree, since you are lucky enough to have nearly all of the RAM in sockets, by all means test all of the removable RAM in your tester.

If that doesn't score a lucky hit, we may very quickly get to the point where you will need a scope of some sort - a PC-based digital storage scope like the one Colin suggests is ideal and it's fair to say we would not have made any headway with the fault on his PET had he not taken the plunge and bought that. As he said, although the initial outlay is not insignificant, a storage scope is the single most useful bit of test gear you can own and it will continue to be useful for other jobs long after the PET is up and running.

I think there is something called a Pi-Scope which is a bit of hardware and software you add to a Raspberry Pi which effectively makes it into a digital scope - I have no experience with that system personally, you'd have to do some research.

However - as I'm very fond of saying, always try the things you can try with what you already have and costs nothing, so test those RAM ICs first and report back.