View Single Post
Old 24th May 2007, 10:10 am   #48
Keith
Heptode

Default Re: what was your first computer and do you still have it?

I built a Nascom 1 from a kit whilst living in Munich in 1977. I'll always remember the comment from a work collegue when I ordered it: "home computers - bah, they'll never catch on..." I remind him of it whenever I see him!

Had some fun and games getting it up and running due to a solder splash shorting two of the address lines together but once it was going I was completely hooked, bashing in Z80 machine code till the early hours of the morning. I still remember some of the instructions to this day. As someone commented, it only had 2k of memory - and the operating system used over half of that! I remember writing a program to try and win the German state lottery - to no avail, sadly!

Eventually upgraded it to a massive 32k and built it into an old terminal case with the "high speed" Cottis-Blandford cassette interface (1200 baud - 2400 on a good day).

I've still got it up in the "retirement home for old computers" in the loft. My daughter thinks it's the business with games like "Keys of Krall" and "Dungeon Quest" (despite the fact that she's now 24 and has a Masters degree in Computer Science!)

Keith
G3XGW