View Single Post
Old 14th Sep 2018, 11:27 am   #2
Techman
Dekatron

Default Re: Failed 1951 radio, progressive. Bush DAC11.

Totally agree with everything you say, Sam, that's the way to do it and basically the way I do it. I would probably have left the dim dial lights as they were. I don't generally use a lamp limiter, although I 100% agree that using one is the right way to go and I probably ought to make one up sometime, but my short sharp shots of full mains and monitoring the HT in stages between 'shots' as the rectifier warms up (if it's a valve type) has always worked for me. If something goes pop while I'm doing it, then I just have to fix it.

Well done on a good repair. I've found that sometimes just a couple or three replacement capacitors are all that's needed, but on odd occasions as you've found here, you end up having to replace a few more. Proper fault finding rather than either "I've just replaced ALL the capacitors and it's working, but I've learnt nothing and have no idea what may or may not have been at fault" - painting by numbers! Or, "I've just replaced ALL the capacitors and the set doesn't work, perhaps I've made a mistake somewhere and I don't know whether the set was capable of working in the first place" - let's now start a forum thread that runs to a hundred pages and ends up with a set still not working!