View Single Post
Old 25th Jan 2023, 6:16 pm   #7
Iangebbie
Tetrode

Default Re: Poor VSWR on Fibre glass construction boats

Many thanks for the questions GMB, the original build was performed and certified by others outside the oil and gas telecoms or instrument group, the maintenance spec stated 1:1 when testing, you have brought up a good point as to what was it like in the sea, unfortunately
all were tested in place on the platform itself / to do any tests within the sea would have taken a lot of permits / and the fact that you would have to remove the capability (Remove from service) a TEMP would just not happen, from my point of view the original set up was not fit for purpose, this was fed back to senior managers onshore, again who did the acceptance testing when new? doubt if telecoms were involved, I was involved in detailed design and specifications within the industry (2015 onwards) I clearly stated in the. specification that any TEMP must have an antenna with a ground plane built into the boat that must achieve 1.1 VSWR,
Statoil used both Marine and UHF radios in their life boats (UHF required as part of any muster in the Norwegian sector) ABB Norway telecoms group were copied in the specification that I devised.