View Single Post
Old 11th Jan 2023, 2:04 pm   #65
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Default Re: BVWS Winter Bulletin

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehertz View Post
David, your post there is clearly aimed - at least to some extent - at my comments that were about a very specific kind repetition, nothing to do with the magazine in general
My post wasn’t ‘aimed’ at you, (in the Shakespearean sense of 'slings and arrows') – it was a response to your comments.

Rather than re-quote the whole of the text of your posts, I’ll respond to the key points you have made:

Quote:
“Y'know - and I'm probably going to get stick for saying this”
For the avoidance of doubt, I wasn’t ‘giving you stick’ and I'm not sure why anyone would. You invited comments saying: “Does anyone else at least partly share my view?’ I responded saying that no, I didn’t share your view, specifically the comment below. In disagreeing, I tried not to be disagreeable, but if you feel otherwise, then do accept my apologies.

Quote:
“I sometimes get fed up with reading restoration articles that inevitably follow an oh so predictable route of, I then changed this capacitor, and that capacitor, a faulty valve cured that, this resistor was out of tolerance, I treated the pots and switches with switch cleaner and so on!”.
In my response, I stated: “I can't see a single article which I would class as repetitive or 'run of the mill'. Quite the contrary in fact. Many are really quite challenging, such as the final part of Gary Tempest's 3-part article on the total strip-down and rebuild of a Philips 753 motor-tuned radio”.

In looking back at the eclectic range of articles in the Bulletin in 2022, they’re mostly about the total restorations of wide range of complex radios, TVs, amplifiers and so on, by a wide range of authors. I truly can’t find any that follow an ‘oh so predictable pattern’, but if that’s your view, you are entitled to it. I just don’t share it.

Quote:
“You mention lots of stats, excellent 'this and that', and so on, clearly bolstering the magazine against a perceived knocking of it. That would be fine - but I haven't knocked it?!”
I’m not saying that you or anyone else is ‘knocking it’. (You wouldn't be renewing your subs if you were).

I’m simply saying that my perspective differs from yours.

I see no repetitive evidence of ‘each and every faulty component found being recorded’. In a total restoration on a non-working set, of course a restorer will refer to components which have caused the equipment to not work or to have impaired performance and have thus been replaced, but only as part of the overall restoration. In addition to the electronics, most articles cover mechanical and cosmetic aspects as well – chassis, dials, speakers, cabinetry, knobs and so on.

Quote:
“I really don't mind people commenting on and disagreeing with that (it's an opinion thing) but I am not happy to be - by proxy or inference as it may be - positioned as a disliker, knocker of the magazine”.
I’m not positioning you as such – I just don’t concur with your critique.

Quote:
“I have been an on/off member of the BVWS since the late 70s. I have seen the Bulletin grow from a stapled, typed, plain paper job to the excellent, glossy 'magazine' that it is today. I look forwards to receiving my copy and the breadth of articles contained therein”.
On that, we’re both metaphorically ‘tuned to the same spot on the dial’.

Quote:
I'm a professional writer in the electronics industry so I've written hundreds of articles that have been accepted for publication in international electronics magazines.
Then as a longstanding BVWS member, having written 'hundreds of articles in international electronics magazines', why not consider melding your professional skills as a ‘wordsmith’ to your restoration skills, to write a Bulletin article as a 'benchmark' for the style that you would like to read yourself Steve?

I don’t think there’s anything else I can usefully add, but hope that clarifies any misunderstandings.