View Single Post
Old 23rd May 2020, 8:14 pm   #28
Pamphonica
Nonode

Default Re: Small Workshop Air Compressor £67

I was hoping to have a tiny, quiet compressor that would sit under the workbench. But now I know it needs to be a bit larger, as soon as I go up in size (even to 6L, or 8, or 10) the noise seems to rise dramatically (from a pleasant 45dBA to 80, or even 90dBA+ - ouch!). And if you do seek out larger but low noise versions (pancake etc) the price goes stratospheric.

This one does do a reasonable job on dust removal and even tyres at a pinch. And I might be able to use it for a bit of spray painting. And I console myself with the thought that I may not need any more cans of air duster for a bit! So it will get some use whatever happens.

But I just I don't have space inside for a huge, possibly secondhand monster, and don't really want to have to do desoldering in the garage.
Realistically I may abort the airline desoldering route, at least for now and retreat to my trusty Duratool desoldering iron.

Meanwhile, does anyone have any advice about oil-free vs oil-filled small compressors, or comments on what technology gives the lowest noise, especially when used indoors?

I blame all this confusion on advancing years, and far too many spare hours in lockdown, dreaming up new projects!

-Jeremy