View Single Post
Old 19th Jan 2020, 3:25 pm   #154
theredhouseinn
Hexode

Default Re: RCA AR88D Comms Receiver.

Mounted the TC back in it's frame with new solid wire and braid to the tags on the TC.
Carefully positioned the frame back on the chassis, feeding the leads through the holes as I went. refitted the 4 front screws and the 1 rear screw, slid the coupling into place, aligned the TC and the scale, and tightend the 4 grub screws.
I finally settled for a Sealey 100w iron, as this fitted between the switch wafers. I had to move 2 trimmers to one side in the RF stages to get the iron to the earth tags.
All 8 braids now soldered to the earth tags. The fixed vane wires soldered to the switch tags, this was tricky, but just made it with the Weller iron.
Refitted and connected the smoothing cap block back to the chassis.
Checked all connections have been made to the correct tags.
Switch on and let it warm up for 20 mins.
Went through the alignment proceedure band 1 to 6, perfect tracking and good osc. waveform on all bands. I think I have cracked it at last.
Now for the IF coils.
Removed the final IF before the det. there are 3 180pf's in this can. They are the pink types. I checked them on the bridge, (Marconi TF2700), the values were quite close, within about 20pf or so, measured them on the Avo, no indication of any leakage >20meg.
However, on the bridge I had to use the loss adjust control between 3 and 7 to get a balance on the 3 caps. Three new caps I measured the loss adjust control was on 0 for all 3. I asumed that all was not well with the original caps., so I fitted the new ones as I had the can out.
Replaced the IF can, fed in the 455kc/s aligned ok.
I am now going to check the rest of the IF TX's.
Best of luck on your Moreton Cheyney receiver Alan.
John.

Last edited by theredhouseinn; 19th Jan 2020 at 3:28 pm. Reason: Small addition.