View Single Post
Old 21st Mar 2019, 7:34 pm   #69
ms660
Dekatron

Default Re: Ferrograph 4A: Restoration advice needed

I can't advise specifically for your machine regarding mechanical adjustments because I've not worked on one that I can recall, all I can say is that the tape path should be all in order for proper recording and playback, the manual only seems to give one adjustment and that's for azimuth, I don't know if the height of the tape guides is adjustable or if head height and zenith are adjustable.

I can only say make sure that the tape path is in good order and that there is no tape curl at the guides etc, the guides should be parallel to the vertical face of the heads, anything different can cause uneven head wear, I used to service a lot of Sony reel to reel tape decks back in the day, the erase head was usually fixed (non adjustable) but the record/playback head(s) were fully adjustable for head height, zenith and azimuth, the input tape guide (the one to the left of the erase head) was usually adjusted so that the erase head segment was protruding above the top of the tape by the specified amount, once that was set correctly the height of the record/playback head segment could be adjusted to the specified distance below the top of the tape.

Lawrence.