Thread: Valve preamp.
View Single Post
Old 21st Jun 2019, 6:46 am   #60
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

Default Re: Valve preamp.

Thanks Peter, I did think of using a CCS and as you said he mentions some of this in his blurb, even with the changes suggested I wouldn't use it because of relative complexity and component count.

I tried this circuit yesterday - see attached - this is the sort of circuit I like, no weird odd value caps, small component count etc. Anyway it worked ok on the 1 x 10 and 1 x 100 range of my sig gen with a quick test, but has a lot of top end. At 10khz amplitude is four times as big as 1khz, I will test it more thoroughly today and change some values on the FB path.

Regarding using FET's, I got a few of the 2SK369 low noise jobbies to try Pat Turners Rocket circuit ( without the paralleled caps!) but after reflection knocked it on the head - too many valves & overly complex. PT built his Rocket amp after reading Secrets of the phono amp stage by Allen Wright - attached. Audiof*ckwitery? It makes sense to use a low noise FET I guess with a following valve stage to get The Tone but most 2SK369/2SK170 phono amps I've looked at lean towards Audiow**kery and treat the FETS as sacred.

Thanks Al, wondered where you got to and how you were. They're ceramic wafers out of a scrap Tektronix 545B scope, used a lot in all the 500 series scopes.
Lasly there's lots of useful circuits in this - http://www.tubebooks.org/tubedata/RC30.pdf

Andy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shure m65.jpg
Views:	440
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	185441  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf SP_15_Article.pdf (661.6 KB, 106 views)

Last edited by Diabolical Artificer; 21st Jun 2019 at 7:06 am.