View Single Post
Old 9th Nov 2018, 4:16 pm   #8
Niall76
Triode

Many thanks David I have googled a potentiometer so I've a better idea of what it might be, I figured it's got to be something to do with the switches. I shall order a spray of elctrolube so!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
You can probably make a worthwhile improvement and it doesn't take a lot of effort or skill.
Behind each of those controls is a thing called a "potentiometer" google some images and see what typical ones look like. They come in two sorts, rotary ones where as the name suggests you rotate a knob, and slide ones where the 'pot' is a long thin item with a slot in it through which protrudes a lug. A knob clips onto the lug, and you slide it to and fro.

Inside these things is a piece of insulation sheet (often a paper composite) with a thin deposit of carbon on it. This acts as a resistor, across which the circuitry makes a voltage, and a sliding contact scrapes along the carbon track to tap off a variable amount of the voltage.

With age and use these things go dry and the intermittent contact makes scratchy sounds if they are moved or disturbed.

Similarly switches in these things dry out and go scratchy.

A worthwhile improvement can be made by cleaning and re-lubricating them.

The usual way is to spray in a small shot of 'Electrolube' which is made for the job and hangs around to keep the pot/switch working well. DO NOT USE WD40. It doesn't work and it is immense trouble to get rid of the stuff and sort things out.

This usually works, but in severe cases the slider may have scratched all the carbon track off, and the pot will need to be replaced. Do-able, but first the right replacements have to be found and then some soldering is involved.. There are still people who do such repairs, or there is guidance on here for people venturing into DIY.

Oh, and welcome!

David
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvistor View Post
Hopefully cleaning will work, well worth trying, easy to do and no dismantling.

Saying this item is vintage has just put 10 years on me, sold, installed and repaired them 40 odd years ago.
Haha I think anything nowadays 20 years old is considered vintage! I feel the same when they describe the first playstations now as vintage. What do you think of them anyway? Have to admit it's an amazing design, never seen anything like them before which is why in had to purchase it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Station X View Post
I'll just add that the contact spray needs to be sprayed INTO the potentiometer so that it can reach the track and slider. There's generally a gap around the solder tags on the pot where you can insert the aerosol's extension nozzle.
Thanks Graham I will keep that in mind when I try it

Quote:
Originally Posted by RojDW48 View Post
Yes they are slider pots on this one. I repaired and refurbed the very same about a year ago. A quirky and attractive little design with its pull out speakers - good fun audio!
Yes indeed I think it's an amazing design for it's time! Never seen anything like it before! Any tips for attempting to get at the potentiometer to spray with electrolube?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
The only snag is with that style of cabinet, don't you need a powdered wig, knee breeches silk hose and a lunette glass to fully enter into the spirit?

Seriously, they're not a bad little unit. Middle of the road domestic electronics in a posh cabinet, that got left behind in the move to hifi.

David
I'm guessing it might be awkward alright David I'll wait till I get some electrolube first before I look into it. Thanks yeah I've got to admit it's an amazing design for that era, and it's got to be reasonable enough with a Garrard turntable in it, what year do you think they came out in?