View Single Post
Old 21st Sep 2018, 12:45 am   #72
JohnBG8JMB
Pentode

Default Re: Changing the BVWS

I've just picked up this thread; I'm not a BVWS member. I'm a retired electronics design engineer, started with xtal sets at 11, interested in radio and electronics tech history. I used to subscribe to Radio Bygones [rb] - mostly technical and not too much waffle, fitted my interest in radio tech history. And it came as pdfs.. I understand that BVWS has taken on rb, so I went to the bvws website. Some constructive- I hope - comments.

1. What do you actually get for your subs? info lacking.
2. Seems to be a discrepancy between "The Society regularly produces supplements for members, consisting of technical, historic and documentary interest... paper supplements and our own history book. These are all free to members.", "Newer issues may be purchased", BVWS CDroms pages that don't tell you how to get them...It all seems to be on the other side of a paywall.
3 It's rather difficult to get a feel for the bulletin now; latest preview is 10 years old. But my impression is that there is more waffle and people stuff than radio tech history, e.g.design, receivers, BC stations, with circuits, 'how to'...and my interest is the tech side.
4 Nice clean website with no bling. ButHome page features video of an auction 4 years ago...why? I can't get in my garage already, I don't want more mouldering woodworm. Occasional inaccessible [i.e. too far away] auctions? not for me.
5 Is BVWS a brit soc. for vintage wireless, or a soc. for Brit vintage wireless sets? Perhaps the 'vintage wireless soc.' would be a more inclusive title?
6 Is the bulletin available as pdf instead of hard copy? - I've nowhere to put print magazines.

I'd be happy for someone to tell me I've got it wrong.

regards
John
G8JMB MIET [ret]

ps don't worry about the bvws logo - they're only useful for large companies in the public eye, like macDo or Shell.