View Single Post
Old 11th Aug 2019, 3:45 pm   #10
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Default Re: PCB nibbler tools

I used to use a hacksaw with the PCB laminate clamped to the edge of a bench, but for some years until recently, I've used an electric tile cutter with a 75mm diam diamond wheel. The model is 'Plasplugs Compact Floor & Wall Tile Cutter Model DW082'. It has a powerful 300W motor and runs at 4,600 RPM off load. I bought it at a car boot sale for a fiver some years ago. They're often on Ebay, Gumtree and at boot sales but many are the larger 'XL' models, which have a water reservoir. The 'Compact' just has a dust collecting box, the lid of which lifts off.

It's served me well, but I've recently built a small PCB cutter using a 12V motor, a 50mm diamond wheel and a small variable speed controller, having seen a similar ideas on youtube. I'll write another thread about that.

Pic 1 is how I used to cut PCB laminate with a hacksaw. (I cut aluminium and steel sheet like that too).
Pic 2 is the Plasplugs tile cutter with the dust cover removed showing the diamond wheel.
Pic 3 is the cutter ready for use.
Pic 4 is the maker's label showing the data.

The only slight drawback is the width of the cut. Most PCBs I make are quite small and if say I have a piece of laminate 200mm wide and want two 100mm pieces from it, the diamond wheel takes maybe 5mm out of it. Apart from that, for the occasional PCB, a tile cutter is probably the least hassle and give the cleanest cut.

Hope that's of interest.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clamped PCB for sawing.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	188189   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tile Cutter 1.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	188190   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tile Cutter 2.jpg