View Single Post
Old 30th Jul 2019, 8:47 pm   #1
Peakoverload
Retired Dormant Member

Default Bush DAC90A Speaker Question

Every time I google the Bush DAC90A it always brings up numerous threads on this forum so I'm hoping I've come to the right place.

Long story short, my grandfather had one of these and I have very fond memories of sitting with him whilst he listened to his favourite radio programmes and purely for nostalgia reasons and to have some kind of connection again to him, I'd like to try and use one of these in a project I have in mind.

Unfortunately I am not skilled in electronics and could never attempt to restore one of these, or indeed any radio, in the skilled ways you guys do. I would however, and I do hope that this isn't considered sacrilegious, love to convert one of these into a computer controlled media centre. I have already done most of the 'computer' side of things by using a Raspberry Pi and connected it up to an amplifier and I can see that you can easily pick up a DAC90A on various auction sites quite cheaply.

The bit that I can't quite work out is in regards to the speaker as none of the internal photos and restoration videos I've seen, appear to answer this.

I would like to replace the original speaker (sorry) with a new one but I can't find anything about what size the original is or see how it is mounted inside the case. I did see one page somewhere (now can't find the link) where it stated the speaker was 6" in diameter but I can't tell how it is mounted and can't work out whether I would need to find one of roughly the same size or whether I could use a smaller 4" driver. Can anyone shed any light?