View Single Post
Old 21st Jul 2019, 9:32 am   #193
Superscope
Octode

Default Re: Hedghog standards converter

Thanks for all the replies,

As I had hoped for, this Forum has shead light on what appears to have been happening,
and I have learned something along the way.

This all started with me wanting to test the VHF on a Dual standard (VHF & UHF)
JVC TV.
The UHF didn't work even though the TV was described as fully working and I was
interested to know if the VHF worked and assumed it was 405 Line because the Set
was a Uk Model. First Mistake!

Hence I thought it was the right Time to get a Hedghog!

The JVC could not resolve a picture, and so the first course of Action was to test
the Hedghog on other Sets I have and to my surprise none of them worked properly.

It would appear as others have suggested, that all my VHF capable TV's are actually
625 Line VHF ! Although I haven't been able to test this for sure yet, but it looks to be the case.

So it spite of all my research on Uk VHF before purchase of an HH, I got caught out!

Why was 625 VHF used in other countries?
Was it to simplify the Broadcast of VHF when Production had moved to 625 for the new UHF?
and if so, I assume there was a change from 405 at some point?
As I understand it, 405 Line was specificaly chosen due to the technical difficulties of the time.

I have since found a small note in the JVC 3050Uk User Manual (but not in any others)
which does say that the VHF will not work in the United Kingdom.

I am amazed that a Main Stream Manufacturer would sell incompatable VHF TV's in the
Uk, when VHF was still being used in some Areas, and on top of that, not make that clear!

So for the time being, I have a redundant HH :-(

My area of interest is small Portable TV's.
Are there any 405 Line small portable Sets out there that I can search for?
Don't tell the Wife!

Ian