View Single Post
Old 28th Jun 2018, 8:53 pm   #9
PJL
Dekatron

Default Re: Marconiphone Type 41

It's almost cleaned up, just a few finishing touches. I have pencilled in the pots to 1M and hope that will work as they are difficult to remove. A pringles container is exactly the right diameter but they are aluminium lined .

My plan is to dig out a set of 2V valves, PM1HF, PM1HF, PM2DX, PM22A and use my homemade supply with regulated 2V. Wrap 50 turns round some cardboard and put it on the anode holder then use a scope and siggen and find the max/min resonant frequency.

I still would really appreciate input on the coils.

What would be a sensible turns ratio for the secondary of the anode coil that feeds the detector?

The aerial coil relies on aerial capacitance but what is the capacitance of a long wire aerial at 200-500m?

How should the 'proper' coil be wound? Looking at the Marconi V1 it is just a simple coil but the wire is cotton covered so might be litz. The V1 coil is wider so I may need to wind it as 2 layers. Should I separate the layers with something? Would I gain anything by wave winding given the coil already has 1M in parallel and the shorted turn variometer so selectivity was probably not a design consideration?

As we are know reduced to about the number of transmitters available in 1925, maybe selectivity will not be an issue.