View Single Post
Old 12th Aug 2018, 10:08 am   #4
Argus25
No Longer a Member

Default Re: Can one spray rexine?

I have done this in the past but there are a couple of important considerations.

Firstly you can only get away with this if the rexine is bonded to the surface underneath. If there is a layer of latex or sponge under it , it leaves the surface too mobile and later with pressure the paint surface can crack.

The surface needs to be as clean and grease & wax free as possible, in the past somebody may have applied wax or polishing compounds. So clean the rexine thoroughly with contact cleaner (CO contact cleaner by Caig chemicals works well for degreasing in the absence of the wonderful but unobtainium Carbon tetra chloride). Some thinners by comparison are very aggressive.

Then the paint: I would not use anything other than the very fast setting fine spray automotive touch up spray lacquer that goes by the name Holts Dupli-color, in multiple colour types and small cans from the automotive suppliers like Repco or similar.

It sets very fast and unless it's grossly over applied, there is less time for the solvents to damage the surface too much and you can apply it in a couple of layers waiting about 10 min between coats. It will slightly etch into the surface though, but this helps it bond, but it's a one way process and once you commit to it, you will unlikely be able to clean it completely off once it's in the crevices. But hopefully there would be no need to.

I mentioned on another thread that this sort of paint is also very useful for restoring the surface of yellowed plastics (typically computer cases etc) to white using the color variant Arctic White.