View Single Post
Old 25th Nov 2017, 1:28 pm   #170
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Default Re: Magnetic Loop Receiving Aerial (Gary Tempest)

Hi

Yes, just to summarise my own position, I think I mentioned in a previous post that when I got the loop working I only had my Realistic DX-160 to test it out on, my HRO being in it's "on-going rebuild" . I have 2 HF band transcievers, but let's leave them on the side. On long wave and medium wave, the loop was pulling in signals on the DX-160 that were so strong that I literally had to ping my finger against the S-meter to bring it back off the end stop but background noise was extremely low. This was using the 3866's (4-274) from Graham.

Consequently, I want to get the HRO complete in the expectation that it would really show off the loop even better.

Additionally, I'm now going up a learning curve regarding the loops for use on the amateur bands for both receiving and transmitting, and there's lot's of material to be found via Google. The points that authors make about loops is that;
  1. they help avoid the noise background
  2. they are inconspicuous - objections to large amateur aerials seem common world-wide
  3. when set up really well, they will compete against a dipole.
That said, HF transmitting loops are somewhat more challenging than LF receiving loops, but the effort seems worth it.

The bottom line is that I'm very pleased that this thread about Gary Tempest's loop design came along because it was an area I had no knowledge of, and it has opened up a new area of ham radio which I intend to explore. And certainly, I'm interested in hearing about anything that anyone else of the forum is doing with loops .

B

Last edited by Bazz4CQJ; 25th Nov 2017 at 1:35 pm.