View Single Post
Old 4th Aug 2018, 3:48 pm   #14
stevehertz
Dekatron

Default Re: Reviving a Finish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickthedentist View Post
A clean with aerosol foaming cleaner, touching-in deep scratches with brown felt pens or woodstain, finishing with Rustins Scratch Cover often works well.
I agree with that pretty much as a first port of call. If that doesn't work, or if it doesn't come up to the standard expected, then frankly a refinish is needed. Personally I'd apply the scratch cover polish first so as to ensure that it has maximum 'soak in' capability before you 'wet' it with other cleaners etc. Both the old cracked lacquer and any exposed wood will be like a sponge to the scratch cover polish if they're nice and dry. Old, cracked lacquer can look totally revived with scratch cover polish. For most people, this level of cosmetic restoration is all that is needed to obtain a nice, presentable, visually atractive version of the set in question.

BTW, Wilko sell scratch cover polish in three colours. I generally start with a colour that is lighter (ie 'light' or 'medium', rarely 'dark') than what I think is needed as it does have a tendency to darken the old finish. Best of luck.