View Single Post
Old 23rd Nov 2017, 2:18 am   #25
Techman
Dekatron

Default Re: What have I done?? Fidelity AVS1600.

Bad luck with the tube on the other set. I've transported hundreds of sets in the back of a van back in the day and never broke one, but I always made sure they were well packed and I used to have several large pieces of foam and old blanketing for the purpose. You have to moderate your driving too when there's other peoples sets in the back of the van. You were lucky that on this occasion this was your own set and not a customers. Ideally, the Ferranti should have been transported on its face on some soft cloth. You've learned a bit of a hard lesson and I'm sure it's something that you'll never do again. I think that all of us have done something similar and had a bit of a disaster to teach us a lesson at some time in our lives - we just wish we could all wind the clock back.

On a positive note, that Ferranti isn't a very good example of that particular set and there will be some useful parts for another one if you break it up. As daft as it sounds, times are changing and the Fidelity is probably becoming a more valuable and unusual set than the older Ferranti - I hope the neck of that tube didn't damage the cabinet of the Fidelity too much! I bet you haven't got the special remote control that goes with the Fidelity, have you?