View Single Post
Old 4th Dec 2017, 7:11 pm   #13
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: A Hallicrafters S27

Having found a more-legible schematic [for the US Navy RBK27 version] which includes above- and below-chassis photographs, it's now really clear that the mains transformer on my example is an impostor. The impostor is a *lot* bigger than the real one.

Similarly, I can now see what's been done with the output-Tx and the S-meter zero pot: Pot has been moved to the space where the output-Tx should be [which means there's no way to access the adjustment...] and the impostor output-Tx has been fitted [at an angle] onto the space where the pot and its bracket used to sit.

You can actually see the edge of the output-Tx if you look through what was the S-meter-zero pot hole.

I'm hoping it should be possible to move the original pot and its bracket back to its rightful place without too much effort, then see about getting a replacement output-Tx that fits.

Much of the wiring is rotten [it's the cotton-over-rubber type] - insulation turns to dust when poked. I'm not going to be showing this beastie any kind of mains for quite a while!