View Single Post
Old 3rd Dec 2017, 8:12 pm   #1
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default A Hallicrafters S27

Last weekend Dog [AKA D-HUND] and myself took a trip down to Devon to visit forum-member "Mikebay" and his inamorata in order to collect a Hallicrafters S27.

After sharing a coffee and some interesting conversation [even their cat seemed to take to me!] we returned home (via an hour-long dogwalk on Dartmoor in the sleet..._). The S27 has spent the last week in my 'office' in order to dehumidify. 20% relative-humidity for a while is always good to dry things out.

Looking at it - it's clearly been "got-at" - not entirely unexpected given that it's 70+ years old.

There's a "Pye"-type coaxial connector fitted to the rear panel as an antenna connection and the front panel's been marked to indicate this (though it's rather rubbed-off).

The S-meter on the front panel has been replaced with something distinctly non-original, and the S-meter zero pot has been removed.

The output-transformer's been replaced with a rather-larger non-standard one [could the S-meter and zero-pot have been reworked to make room for this?]

The mains-transformer looks like a non-standard one too - it's jammed up too well against the voltage-stabiliser valve to have been original - but if it is a modification it's really quite a historic one.

I'm pondering: unless I can get a genuine replacement output-transformer, should I fit a more-suitable smaller one [maybe converting from P-P output to a single-ended output stage? Easily done just by pulling out one of the 6V6s] in order to replace the S-meter-adjust pot in the right place?

And, I'm also wondering - the fitting of a Pye-style coax socket and the labelling on the front - given the history of these radios being used for interception of German 'beams' transmissions could this modification have been a genuine WWII-era one?

Whatever, it's going to spend a few more weeks drying-out before I show it mains.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	s27-1.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	153306   Click image for larger version

Name:	s27-2.jpg
Views:	544
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	153307   Click image for larger version

Name:	s27-3.jpg
Views:	298