View Single Post
Old 26th Nov 2017, 3:15 pm   #28
OldTechFan96
Octode

Default Re: Pye Black Box Restoration

I'm not going to bother with the original cartridge. I'd like to experiment with ceramic cartridges that are still produced today. The output quoted online of these carts tends to be around 150mV-350mV. I think such output will be suitable to replace an old medium output cart. I don't want to rely on expensive NOS parts whose supplies are running out and could be defective.

This is the third and oldest idler wheel turntable I've dealt with. The idler wheel is in excellent condition, it is supple and grips well. The TT has been degreased and will be oiled once it has dried. The platter mat is in good condition. I'll buy some grommets tomorrow. The diameter required will be 10mm.

I've replaced all of the paper capacitors with 630V replacements at the appropriate modern values. I've also bought replacement electrolytic capacitors but I'll see if the originals work without hum.

I'm not too sure which sections of the transformer are faulty, but I do know that most sections read open and two give a reasonable reading in the hundreds of ohms.

Last edited by OldTechFan96; 26th Nov 2017 at 3:16 pm. Reason: Extra