View Single Post
Old 14th Jan 2021, 1:09 pm   #43
Robint 47
Tetrode

Default Re: CCL Capacitor for Deccasound 600

Well after following these threads it's like going back in time. I spent some very happy 20 odd years working in the Decca service dept at Bridgnorth working as technical support. In all those years I cannot recall one of these chokes going faulty in any way they were more or least used on all Decca audio products of a 6 Watt nature at that time. The transformers count those on one hand even the rectifier does not look original. So I still think the best advice is to strip back checking the mains Tx fitted is correct for the job and rewire back to spec. After a successful repair the end user will find he has got quite a nice sounding system even though it must be now some 40+ years old able to support a ceramic cartridge Decca used a Sonatone 9TA series which in its day was able to hold its head high . The speakers supplied by Decca were the L100 an 8ohm system which to my younger ears sounded quite good not having the colouration some units in plastic boxes have today Decca sold these items though as separates so the end user could choose an alternate deck and speakers hence the model no i.e. 6 meaning 6 Watt 0 series reference 4 of course there were 4 items and it did produce 6watts RMS per channel The amp had a mains output for a auxiliary source
Sorry if I have gone on a lot but it does bring back so many memories of things going right and wrong I still have a great many Decca manuals I retained when I left Decca the company selling out to Tatung . I will make some arrangement for them to be either copied or given to an organisation that will look after them some of them don't appear even on this site.