View Single Post
Old 30th Mar 2012, 4:04 pm   #1
mhennessy
Dekatron

Default Calling Hacker Hunter owners!

Hi Everyone,

Over on the Hacker Radio group I'm trying to document the history of the Hacker Hunter, and I thought I'd cast the net a little wider.

The Hunter was probably the longest-lived Hacker set, stretching from 1969 to 1975, and with only one major revision in 1970. But there were a number of cosmetic changes, and it would be nice to document these. Ultimately, I'd like to produce a "time line" diagram that shows the full history.

If you own a Hacker Hunter (or 2 ), please could you supply the following information.

- Model designation (RP38 or RP38A, "VHF Hunter" or "Hunter fm/am")
- Serial number
- Handle type (single piece or the later 3-piece type)
- Grille type (sheet aluminium or extruded aluminium)
- Scale print (all white, or with some green)
- DC input socket (or not!)
- Loudspeaker type and finish (most were "gold" Elac, earlier ones had a grey painted frame, earliest examples used a Goodmans loudspeaker)
- Tone control knob style (most were silver, the very later ones were black+chrome)

All information will be added to the Yahoo group database, and hopefully the patterns will begin to emerge. BTW, you might have already supplied us with serial numbers, but the extra detail is still really useful.

Of all the Hacker sets, the Hunter is the most interesting in this regard because it had the longest run and saw the most detail changes. It is also one of the most endearingly popular sets today.

Many thanks in advance,

Mark