View Single Post
Old 14th Apr 2010, 12:30 pm   #12
Maestro Maker
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Vintage car aerial etc

Yes! I remember them well. The stick-on rear window demister was a great idea and worked well in the sixties. Much later, my Rover limo. had a heated rear window that used the element as an efficient aerial but required an expensive box of tricks in the boot.
The motorised telescopic sort was fitted to a company car I had in about 1964. The original was unscrewed and carted away by some rascal at Heathrow airport in the days when one could use the multi-storey carpark and not put out in a field nearby.
The replacement didn't last very long either. When taking the car for its mandatory wash one Sunday afternoon the final section failed to retract before the Carwash machine brush got to it, wrenched it out and proceeded to thrash the side of car with it both going forward and back. The damage was slight but the noise was terrifying. I never used one again although they worked well.
The little window/gutter mounted aerials were very popular for attaching by cable to transistor radios that built with a suitable coupling coil on the ferrite rod. This was seen by some as a method of avoiding the purchase of a receiving license that was required for "proper car radios" permanently installed and wired to the car electrics. The license was cancelled 1971.
Happy days . . .
MM