View Single Post
Old 24th Apr 2013, 2:18 pm   #1
Stuart R
Heptode

Default Wooden cabinet re-finishing

Hello!

Work is continuing with the Murphy A242 (1955) rescued from a workshop clear-out. Sorry this rambles a bit, there is a question or two at the end....

The varnished finish was so rough, I thought I'd strip it and start again. I've never attempted cabinet work, but am hoping I can't make it any worse(!) Got myself some store's-own-brand paint stripper and it did wonders on the first pass. Working one side at a time, got great chunks of gloop off with a wooden spatula.

Some parts didn't clear straight away, so I tried a second application of stripper in localised places. That was the first mistake, as the stripper seems to bleach the wood a shade lighter on each go, so this left the clean wood rather blotchy. Although no varnish remained, treating the top with stripper again, and using wire wool to clean off, restored a uniform colour.

Everytime I work on one surface, the residue left from rinsing/wiping down always gets onto an adjacent surface and leaves a darker/lighter stripe, this is still visible when the cabinet dries.

Did one final coat of stripper over the whole cabinet that has made things better but can still see the dark stripe on the RHS at the front.

I plan to use wood dye and then spray laquer to finish the cabinet off. So the question is will the wood dye help mask this stripe or make it look worse? I suspect the latter.

Will repeated applications of stripper (Benzyl alcohol) damage the veneer?

Any thoughts welcome. Thanks & Regards,

Stuart
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010245x.jpg
Views:	379
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	78999   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010265x.jpg
Views:	400
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	79000   Click image for larger version