View Single Post
Old 28th Nov 2018, 8:20 am   #8
crackle
Rest in Peace

Default Re: A new lease of life for a KW FB10 'Toaster'.

Nice result David.
I have in the past removed the speaker baffle card, and if it is not stained with glue, turn it 180 degrees and the green stripes should then align with the slots in the cabinet.

I have found it common for hard worked vintage low value carbon resistors to drop in value. For that reason it is always a good idea to check any cathode resistors on the OP valve to ensure the bias is still correct.

On my website you can find the 4 different circuits for the FB10, the original 1950, 53, 54 & 55 updates, and also the 1955 FB10/2 service manual.
The 6v4 was used on the FB10 May 1955 circuit and on the FB10/2 and the ferrite aerial was a smaller diameter (5/16") so it would seem that your one is a variation of the FB10.
The fatter ferrite rod, like yours, appears to have been introduced in the July 1953 service amendments.
But to be honest any of these changes can be found mixed and matched as KB changed from one design to another.

This design of radio had quite a long production life and it remains THE MOST common and most popular of all the KB radios.

Another one saved and looking good.

Mike

Last edited by crackle; 28th Nov 2018 at 8:37 am.