View Single Post
Old 11th May 2017, 10:05 am   #11
PsychMan
Octode

Default Re: Fridge compressor capacitors

Thanks a lot for your reply, that makes a lot of sense to me now. I did remove it as I believed it was purely an unused starter , and initially the fridge wouldn't start - that may have purely been a wiring issue though looking back. I should still have it so I could have a go putting it back.

There are generic overload devices available fairly cheaply, if I couldn't use the original I might buy a few (starting with lowest power rating) and see which lowest HP one allows the fridge to start and run properly. Looking at how they're wiried, it seems they are connected between the common terminal and neutral, so I can see how its difficult replacing that with anything else as they need to be tolerant of current draw at startup, and protect against overload under running conditions.

With regards fuses, I was thinking of measuring current to the start windings and run windings then individually fusing them with glass fuses on inline fuse holders, better than nothing but not great.

Im sure I can either get the original back or find a generic device that would do the job. The compressor on this is still very good, and once running with the thermostat the compressor doesn't run very much at all and maintains a nice temperature inside