View Single Post
Old 17th Nov 2019, 5:27 am   #15
Argus25
No Longer a Member

Default Re: Dyeing colourless heatshrink blue to match small vintage electrolytics

This thread reminded me of something, aside from the excellent work being done here that I have already remarked on.

Back in the early 1970's my brother worked at a transformer manufacturing company. This was before heat shrink was in general use. They would get an effect exactly like heatshrink, but with no heat. The tubing was effectively already shrunk, then they would dip it in a solvent (I think it was toluene), the sleeve would then swell up to 3 or 4 times in size and go all rubbery and slippery, I remember playing around with it and probably sniffing up more toluene than was recommended.

In any case when it evaporated the tubing tried to shrink back to its original size and it would wrap itself around things, just like heat shrink sleeve.

I don't remember seeing any clear or blue sleeve though, only yellow & white.

The method may be of some use, but further research would be required to see if it could be anywhere near as good as what has been done here with the heat shrink sleeve.