View Single Post
Old 4th Sep 2019, 3:31 am   #1
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Default Solid State Vibrators -v- Inverters ?

I'm just trying to make sure I know where the differences lie between these circuits / devices.

Obviously, the SSV's came in to being to replace the old electro-mechanical switching devices the likes of which I had in my Class D wavemeter. As the original vibrators had finite lives, and have long since gone out of production, installation of an SSV is very neat solution to keeping such equipment working.

From what I've read and from what I'm seeing on a current project, the SSV generates a square wave signal of an appropriate voltage to work with the old transformer to generate HT.

But what are the differences between that and a modern inverter, other than in the inverter, the transformer and the electronics are designed together with each other? Those of us who lived through a certain era on 2m will always have a sweet spot for the sound of a Pye RT inverter .

My reason for asking is that I have a project in-hand which uses a single valve which needs about 150V at no more than ~2mA (it's GDO), and I'd like it to run from a 12V SLA. I have two ready-made SSV's boards which came from a forum member in Australia many years ago, though he has (I think) not been on the forum for a very long time (I cannot recall his name).

I've tried these out with various transformers from my junk box and both work well and so I've just ordered a very small 2VA transformer which will keep the size and weight down. Before I commit to going down this route, is there anything else I could/should consider?

Multiple PP3's wired in series are not something I want to do!

Thanks

B