Thread: LM380 cooling.
View Single Post
Old 20th Nov 2019, 1:36 am   #12
Stylo N M
Heptode

Default Re: LM380 cooling.

Hi G6Tanuki,

Oh no your idea is certainly NOT crazy, when I built my mono record player amplifiers using a TBA800 IC I used 2.5 flat, 15 amp grey power cable, stripped down for the copper. The copper was then cut into 7mm lengths, and laid side by side against the heatsink, on the underside of the PCB and soldered in place, of course all that being done first before the chip was inserted.

I dare not say the things I experimented with before I had that perticular brain wave, I have tried very old copper pennies soldered to the heatsink of the TBA800 with the heatsink bent upwards, and have also used old copper piping flatened out and cut to size just like your picture.

Of course all that was whilst I was experimenting and perfecting everything, and also before I got skillful enough to cut the slits in the PCB to allow the heatsink of the IC to remain downwards on the board. I soon discovered that bending the heatsink upwards was damaging some of the IC's (but not all of them) so I settled on not bending them at all, and using the extra copper underneath, turned out far more reliable and neater.

Paul