Thread: R1481 set
View Single Post
Old 31st Aug 2016, 12:13 am   #3
GeoffB17
Tetrode

Default Re: R1481 set

Hmm..

Thanks for the above.

Doing a 'google' for the R1481 brought up an advert from Clydesdales in Glasgow selling the set, so it cannot have been THAT rare back in 1949. Priced for less than the 1132? Advert in 'Radio Constructor' mag.

I have a memory of looking inside the screened tuning section, and noting the relatively small plates or the variable capacitor, and I think that the tuning coils were each just a couple of loops (about an inch diameter) of fairly thick (2 or 3 mm) copper wire (I assume copper, it was covered in a gold-ish paint). Must have been a significant job to get the original tuning set.

My grandfather was an electrical engineer, and was building his own radios back in the 1930s, and had been a long time reader of Wireless World (I remember looking through the piles of that mag, with the massive components even compared to those of the 1960 era). So I assume he had some idea about what he was trying to do. Maybe he had THOUGHT it was a viable project, but then given up on the idea?

I assume also that Clydesdales had some sort of market for the units. Folks buying them for what??

Geoff