Thread: Balun works
View Single Post
Old 12th Aug 2014, 5:26 am   #20
Synchrodyne
Nonode

Default Re: Balun works

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehertz View Post
I'd done a lot of searching before buying one. But I'd not seen a physically inline one like that. But bear in mind I'm in the UK, so before I spend a fortune on the cost of shipping and import VAT from the US or NZ for a straight one, I'm kinda happy to put up with the 90 degrees bend in mine for £1.95 delivered to my door. Just wondered if anyone knew of a UK source of an inline one. Thanks anyway, at least I know they exist!
It would appear that at one time Antiference used to make an in-line balun (TRR/V/SP) for use at the receiver end. It is mentioned in the FM aerial section in Hi Fi Year Book (HFYB) 1974 and then in most issues through to and including 1980. A copy of the HFYB 1980 entry is attached, and I have found a picture from another book. It might be worth checking with Antiference (if they’re still around) to see if its balun remains available. It looks as if it was a response to the prevalence of imported FM receiving equipment fitted only with 300R balanced aerial inputs, rather than with 300R and 75R options.

Cheers,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HFYB 1980 p.36.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	96057   Click image for larger version

Name:	RTV&ATRB p.31-9.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	96058