View Single Post
Old 9th Aug 2018, 9:14 am   #6
crackle
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Nickel Cadmium vented cell battery, advice sought

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamcurrent View Post
I have recovered this battery from a dark corner were it has lain unused for 20 years. It is a 24volt battery of about 20Ah., made from cells recovered from an aircraft battery, now in a stout wooden box.

Now my first thought was to dispose of it, but it's rather nice really. It will need some sorting out, none of the cells are short circuit.

But I am worried about the electrolyte levels which can be seen through the cell walls and the vent plug.

Some cells seem to have more electrolyte than I would expect and some much less. None of the cells appear to leak.

Question; Is there any reason why the levels are so different between cells, I expect they were more or less correct when last used, and can I just transfer the excess to the cells with a deficit?

Regards

Brian
Brian, Are you sure this is not a NiFe battery? If it is don't put any acid in it.
Some cells may have deteriorated quicker than others, a bit like nicad batteries do, resulting in an imbalance in charge efficiency, causing some cells to over charge and loose electrolyte.
Mike

Last edited by crackle; 9th Aug 2018 at 9:20 am.