View Single Post
Old 14th May 2021, 6:45 pm   #35
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: Amateur radio licence single exam to full

I think that on-line invigilated exams are here to stay. As it's now been demonstrated that they work and that they are acceptable to the powers that be, it is a genii which is not going to go back into the bottle.

So long as people are checked for having the right knowledge before being let loose on the air, then the necessary job is being done.

The club approach has its problems. As an accredited assessor I found that my accredition expired if my signature wasn't on enough assessments for two years. In a club somewhat out f the high population density regions, this became more than a nuisance. I was at first told that I had to submit all the forms again as if from a fresh start and they'd contact my referees.... One was inconveniently no longer alive...

So I'm happy to do training as needed, but the artificial hoops to be jumped also extended to those on the staff side of the exams.

I'm not sure what necessary function having people's qualification time out so quickly served. I asked if they could provide the necessary steady stream of candidates needed to meet their requirements, or at least an explanation for that requirement. I have a reasonable collection of professional qualifications, but none of them has a best before date.

I see the on-line exam as an improvement from the club side of things.

I think that one of the side effects of covid is that we now have the most approachable RAE we've ever had.

David