View Single Post
Old 20th Apr 2021, 10:11 am   #249
Refugee
Dekatron

Default Re: A new torch/lamp see the light

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenstar View Post
I wanted to make one of these as I found an original, which is wonderful in all respects. The old torches thread seems to have been closed, so here is my take on my attempt to make something similar. I wanted to use for it a 6v lead acid sealed cell, and was not worried about weight much as it will be used at home. But I did want something what would produce light for ages and not break in six months, as most new torches seem to do. I have found the original very useful, but as an antique I didn't want to risk bashing or dropping or otherwise wrecking it.
I also had found a bulls eye torch lens I incorporated. I find these give a lovely even circle of light. I don't know why they are not more widely used.
Mine is nothing like as elegant as the original, but works well. It has also been a learning experience to trial my woodworking and other skills, which could do with some polishing.
I have got the parts and intend to build a new lantern style torch all be it a little more modern looking. The good bit I have got is a pair of bulls eye lenses fitted with twin LEDs giving two beam patterns.
They came off a bit that was left behind after something very off topic got broken.
They are enough to make two lanterns and the batteries I intend to use are a little bit heavy. This will allow me to add a power socket to run other off grid items.
They will be 12 volt and not 6 volt as yours is.