Thread: MK14 and MIDI
View Single Post
Old 29th Sep 2022, 1:44 pm   #22
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Default Re: MK14 and MIDI

Quote:
Every possible solution I can think of so far upsets timing (or the carry link state).
If the original genius can't see a way to invert the bits in software then I don't think I stand any chance.

The problem for MK14 owners is that many of us are running original (1978 vintage) machines and don't want to make mods to the OS, or indeed can't since the OS is held in one-shot bipolar PROMs, so it isn't practical for us to arrange for the SOUT pin to be sent high on reset.

Slothie: You can buy any number of old keyboardless synth modules / tone modules, a classic example would be the original Roland MT-32 and its later close cousin the Roland 'Sound Canvas', or the slightly cheaper Yamaha FB-01.

Just make sure you are looking for something multitimbral - (can act as more than one instrument simultaneously) and preferably with at least one built in PCM drum kit. Most of this type of unit don't have integral speakers, their output is line-level.

All of those items still go for around ~100 - 200 GPB (they were a lot more expensive originally).

There were also a certain generation of small MIDI equipped music keyboards, many in the Casio range, plus the contemporary Yamahas, the Yamaha PSS-795 being a particular standout as it was multitimbral, had a beefy sounding PCM drumkit and allowed the creation of custom sounds of a sort. The Yamaha PSS 680 / 780 also had basic synthesiser functionality and were multi-timbral with built in sampled drums. There is a Yamaha PSS-680 in a charity shop near SWMBO at the moment, asking price £40 - that could probably be haggled down. Unlike the 'serious' synths and synth modules the low to medium end keyboards always have built in amps / speakers.

Alternatively buy a very cheap USB to 5-pin DIN midi converter lead - they work quite well, including with the Raspberry Pi - and run a 'soft synth' - essentially an emulated synthesiser - on the PC, that will respond to any MIDI notes sent to it from the MK14 or any other MIDI data source.

The PC+USB MIDI lead could also be used to run MIDIOX, that is a general MIDI tool which allows you to analyse / look at incoming MIDI data. You can find that here, although I should warn that our locked-down works IT here won't even let me look at the page, for reasons unknown, so approach with caution.

http://www.midiox.com