View Single Post
Old 29th Apr 2009, 9:25 pm   #79
Station X

Default Re: Roberts RT7 - problem

Quote:
Ah! - Now I did do a simple continuity test on some of the dubious bits of bared wire protruding from the T2. I say dubious, as they were devoid of any form of insulation, and not covered with the red varnish (?) that T1 and the other side of T2 has. Between those three points and the chassis there was complete continuity.
If you mean T2 primary which is on the left of the diagram then that is what I would expect, as the centre tap is connected to the chassis. True there should be some resistance in the two halves of the winding rather than "complete continuity or zero ohms, but I would expect it to be quite low. For resistance measurements to be meaningful TR6 and 7 emitters would need to be disconnected from the primary winding.

Quote:
As regards the meter readings on current, yes - there is more than one connecting socket on the meter for the red lead, and it is possible I have used the wrong one. I switched round to the 20m range in the 'A' quadrant, and got 1 . with the red lead in the V/ohms/mA socket.
In that case 1 . probably indicates an overscale reading.

Quote:
Now I've just been back to the bench and carried out another quick check with power on, and got 0.03 with the red lead in the 10ADC socket, and switched round to the single 10A range.
0.03 Amps is 30 milliamps which is way too high.

I think you're being too hasty in suspecting the transformer. Transformers can overheat and still remain perfectly servicable. I'd concentrate on R26, R27 and C32.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.