View Single Post
Old 13th Feb 2019, 3:59 pm   #36
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.
Default Re: [Restoration AND Light Modification] Murphy 146

Yes you are right Michael, I should have been more "neutral" but someone else might have queried that-there's quite a bit of semantics in defining radio terms as well I suppose. I hope my "explanation" didn't make you feel you were going around in circles [like the daisy chain]. Diagrams are so much better. I'm not so familiar with the Auto Tr version [despite having the "remains"] but all the products that had a possibility of the chassis going live [through into the sixties] were built to keep the owners safe. I've never heard of a 'shocking' domestic accident only when the chassis was out of the case and being worked on. I used to have a light bulb wired between mains earth and a clip on the metalwork which would illuminate any mistake. I'm told that would probably trip modern houses fuses now though. Given all that, I wonder If an external Isolating Transformer is really essential at all, if the Auto Tr and circuitry are renovated to a good standard but I would very much rely on the opinion of others for that-particularly if it all hinges on one isolating capacitor doing it's Job!

I'm glad that you are keen to read the Murphy book. Some people only want this sort of thing for technical reference but the personal aspects are just as interesting [and sad] to myself. He was equally innovative in that area as well but I suppose his daughter felt the need to be circumspect within an otherwise fascinating read! I think at least one member here has the Canadian Radiogram Model he produced before a sudden demise but I've not found out much more about that really despite asking a friend in Ontario to try and check it out.

Dave