View Single Post
Old 12th Feb 2019, 1:50 am   #9
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Default Re: CRT is brighter to one side [Hitachi CTP213]

Quote:
Originally Posted by insertnamehere View Post
i didn't realise dg sets had larger yokes, although i can see why, as aren't the guns angled? (i'm not too sure on that)
yes they are.

Quote:
would a shadow mask from a dg set not work on a pil set and vice versa with the correct adjustments, or would it just be a mess?
No. The shadow mask in a PIL tube is called an aperture grill has slots instead of holes, each slot is wide enough to guide the three beams to their respective phosphor dots.

Quote:
With the yokes being convergence, does that mean that some sets would've been wonky for the sake of a good picture?
That's very perceptive of you Aaron, you have thought that through. Take the blue gun for example, being at the top of the triangle it projects a trapezoidal raster on the screen, the red and blue do the same at 45 degrees. Correcting these errors is called dynamic convergence, and correcting the overall picture is called geometry correction.

Quote:
About the decaying guns, so when a crt dies, in order to get it up and running again, it'd need to be re-gunned in some way. I was actually doing some research online and i came across a website with someone who had the exact same issue as i had with the smeared, off coloured picture (on a monitor i believe) and my i was gutted to read that it could be the tube dying - so of course, when i got mine running again i couldn't have been happier with the result.
Re-gunning (rebuilding) CRTs used to be a cost effective industry not any more. Some more videos to watch
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...ube+rebuilding

Quote:
I think with crts, the colour given often makes up for the resolution, and when you're sitting a sensible distance away, the resolution isn't too much of an issue (not for me anyway) of course, sitting up close to the set i notice the imperfections in the resolution but im rarely up close to it.
It's actually the monochrome element (luminance) that has the high resolution, the colour element (chrominance) is just a smear by comparison. The whole thing is an optical illusion.

Quote:
I find it fascinating how complicated crt tvs are, compared to tvs now, and the fact that the inventors had very little to base them off, and to have been created in the 1920s and 30s, i find that even more fascinating.
Actually appearances are deceptive. The electronics in a modern set is infinitely more complex than a vintage one, but it's all done in those microchips, and we as repair people don't need to concern ourselves with how they work internally, nor, in many cases, do the chip manufacturers want us to know how they work.

Last edited by Graham G3ZVT; 12th Feb 2019 at 2:06 am.