View Single Post
Old 23rd Aug 2019, 9:25 am   #27
railwayman3
Triode

Default Re: My first mobile phone (1992)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1152 View Post
of course mobile phones have been around for much longer than even the old analogue cellular network.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MR4hoSh0Ols

I didn't know anyone who had one of those, but a friend of mine had the latter iteration on South Lancs Radiophone, which I believe was called "System 3". It still needed an operator.

Did anyone use "National Band 3" trunked radio system for work?

That's reminded me of an incident when I was one of a group of very young trainee at the Midland branch of an organisation.

We were obliged to attend a very dull seminar given by "someone from London Head Office", who arrived very grandly and clearly was very conscious of his own importance and was out-to-impress these "Northerners". He proudly carried a "mobile" phone which looked like a standard bakelite desk handset and base stuck on top of a large box, which he stood on a table by him to answer "when he was needed urgently".

Needless to say, it didn't ring in the whole of the morning, but each time another phone rang in the building he jumped and looked at the device. To our disgrace, we youngsters were soon (mostly unsuccessfully) trying to stifle attacks of the giggles......afterwards, our local boss "had a strict word with us"....he winked and just said "do, at least, try to behave next time, lads!". Happy days.....

Last edited by railwayman3; 23rd Aug 2019 at 9:31 am.