View Single Post
Old 20th Sep 2020, 8:10 am   #39
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

Default Re: Quad FM3 no stereo

It is a pity that the son of Peter Walker, Ross, was so mealy mouthed about just about every quad product in the interview in Ken Kessler's book "The Closest Approach"

"The ESL was a complete nightmare - that wooden frame? The little screws in the back? The millions of pop rivets we used in that ****** thing? Anyway, I don't think we made any money out of that."

"The Quad II was a doddle. 18 years completely unchanged. I don't think we changed a ****** thing in it. They all came with KT66 valves, and how many resistors did it have 18 or 20? It was a piece of s**t - the only secret was the output transformer, that was it"

"When the 33 came out, people said 'I'm not buying it with that ****** marigold thing on it'. Well, Peter loved that, he thought it was great. And customers would come up and say ' well I'm not going to buy that until you take that marigold thing off. You'll have to change that' And Peter would say 'Well I'm not. B****r off. Go buy a Leak. Go on, b****r off"

He goes on and on in the same vein about every Quad product that ever existed. An interview worth reading.

Craig

PS He did not like the lack of mains switch on the FM3 either, and spent a paragraph knocking that decision.