View Single Post
Old 8th Sep 2020, 11:12 am   #15
David Simpson
Nonode

Default Re: Avo CT160 valve testers in auction

Like Craig, I actually acquired, two or three years apart, two CT160's from Gerry Horrox. Having spoken with him on the phone, and received recommendations from a nearby Forum/BVWS chum, I was confident in getting my monies worth.
The first one was fully working, but needed some cosmetic refurbishment, but this was reflected in the cheaper than normal price. The 2nd one, as he honestly told me, had a phooked meter. He had actually sold it previously to a chap who phooked the meter, then phooked the op-amp kit which Gerry supplied afterwards. Gerry took it back, and I got it for half-price including another op-amp. Worked a treat with a MK1's 444uA VCM meter I had spare.I then later acquired a pristine(internally) MK3, but with a tatty exterior for under £150. So then later flogged the two CT160's. One of them went, for more than it cost me for the two initially, on eBay for big bucks.
I'm not telling this tale to boast about acquisition/selling skills, but to encourage folk to seek advice & personal recommendations when it comes to buying the likes of CT160's. Actually seeing one working before you part with any dosh is the best course of action. But, if like me your are several hundred miles away from the Home Counties, then contact Forum/BVWS folk "in the know", and get proper advice.
At the end of the 2nd decade of the 21st century - bite the bullet & build your own DC Valve Tester/Curve Tracer, or a Sussex, or if you are rich - a RoeTest.

Regards, David