View Single Post
Old 22nd Jan 2020, 10:21 pm   #5
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: Restoring an unloved Bush VHF90A

CONCLUSION

The set works really well, so much so that it was the main set in my living room for several years, its stylish looks regularly attracting positive comments even from people who don’t share my passion for vintage radios (even my wife!). Several people assumed it was a modern repro.

There is plenty of volume, and the overall tone is very pleasing for a small set, thanks in part to the Celestion speaker (same or similar to those used in the VHF61/2, SRP31, TV22 and so on). Sensitivity is very good for an early VHF set, and it picks up everything well using nothing more than its internal loaded dipole (though we are lucky with the signal in Oxford).

If I had to criticise anything, it would have to be its rather crude tuning arrangements and slight tuning drift. If you tune-in a programme when the set’s cool, the dial needs a slight nudge 15 minutes later. However, the tuning then needs no further adjustment, even when the set’s switched on from cold. I intend to try painting the front-end’s valve’s shield black, as suggested by Leon Crampin in an old thread.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	a.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	197612   Click image for larger version

Name:	b.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	197613   Click image for larger version

Name:	c.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	197614  

Last edited by Nickthedentist; 22nd Jan 2020 at 10:37 pm.