View Single Post
Old 6th Jun 2016, 11:50 pm   #34
arjoll
Dekatron

Default Re: Amazing D cell discovery!

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
Here they are the standard premium brand sold practically everywhere - hardly surprising as they are very expensive so provide a good margin for the retailer.
Energizer and Panasonic probably have that place in the market here. Duracell used to be more widespread, but I can't recall when I last saw them in (say) a supermarket - not that I really check that often (too expensive).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy T View Post
Recent production of DSE AA cells was utterly dreadful. They leaked before they even got into any equipment, and made a hell of a mess in short order if they did get installed. They were the black & gold version, but I still have some of the earlier blue & gold version in AAA and AA sizes in use, way past their use-by date but still perfectly alright.
I haven't bought the black and gold for years, but still find them in remotes etc around here and haven't had one leak. For the last few years I've had the silver and black ones, the last pack was one I picked up at the Riccarton Westfield branch in February when I was in Christchurch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy T View Post
It was a mercy that DSE closed down, but it looks like the new owner is going to continue with the DSE name and if they use the same battery supplier, nothing will change.
I doubt they'd bother with home-brand stuff from their old suppliers, the new "Dick Smith" is just an offshoot of Kogan so anything home branded would be Kogan. On their website they only have two batteries - a Kogan-branded CR2032 10 pack and a rechargeable battery pack for a drone.

The Dick Smith brand is so tarnished now I can't see Kogan doing that well with it, but the cost of running two websites with the same product range and using their existing infrastructure for shipping won't be huge. Personally I don't think I've bought anything but batteries from them for the last 5 years or so - parts from Jaycar or element14, appliances from Harvey Norman or Noel Leeming (service at the latter has improved dramatically since The Warehouse took over).