View Single Post
Old 20th Jun 2018, 8:15 pm   #37
Sean Williams
Dekatron

Default Re: BVWS Summer 2018 Bulletin

The problem of prolific traders hoovering up lots at auction is endemic across several organisations.

I would be very happy in applauding the actions of the committee - there are individuals that frequent auctions, and spoil the feeling for the majority.

I was once rebuked for moaning about traders at a non BVWS event "all private individuals will be able to outbid a trader - the trader has to make a profit"

I actually disagree with that statement - traders usually will have a much wider market to sell to, and as a result be able to justify a much higher hammer price than a simple hobbyist that is just looking at an item for enjoyment.

Certainly I do sell on some of the stuff I purchase, but normally I will at least have a play with it first - as for making a profit, it can happen, but usually the net figure is a heavy minus

Greg, I do not think your report in the mag was at all harsh, and it serves well to show those who may be members for purely commercial reasons that this is a monitored situation - something that other societies and organisations would do well to follow.

Cheers
Sean