View Single Post
Old 20th Jun 2018, 12:51 pm   #32
audiomagpie
Heptode

Default Re: BVWS Summer 2018 Bulletin

I've only just caught up with this thread, I think how Paul and Mike have already explained has helped to give more clarity.

My sincere apologies if the article was received by some as a 'bollocking' or even an insult, it certainly wasn't meant to come across as such.

There was a discussion at the last AGM at Harpenden about this subject, so the intention was to be more of a report of what the committee have recently done, by way of procedure and eventual outcomes, when dealing with a very small number of individuals who were deemed to be 'exploiting the Society for purely commercial advantage'.

I think the word that sums it up well is 'intention'. What is the 'intention' of an individual when they are bidding at one of our auctions? For example, if the intention is "I can stick this in an online auction or on my website tomorrow and make a hefty profit" with all or most of the items that they buy, then that is commerce, or commercial.

And those who do this on a large, regular and visible scale are those who have caused other members to make a complaint.

We do have bonafide traders who attend our events. They operate professionally, ethically and visibly, pay for stalls and offer us their often unusual finds, yes they may buy one or two items rather than 'hoovering up', in return they may enlighten us with a Bulletin article, or even publish their own rag. Folk like this we don't have an issue with, as they give more to the Society and the hobby in general than they take from it.

BVWS committee chairman

Last edited by audiomagpie; 20th Jun 2018 at 1:09 pm.