View Single Post
Old 20th Jun 2018, 7:27 am   #25
slidertogrid
Octode

Default Re: BVWS Summer 2018 Bulletin

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC/HL View Post
It's the ones who persistently outbid genuine enthusiasts with the sole intention of selling on that are frowned on. Of course, there's nothing to stop anyone selling on, but not on an industrial scale to the detriment of the hobby.
That's fair enough. But that's not what the statement in The bulletin said is it? as an aside I was outbid on the Meccano Televisor that sold at Wooton Basset only to see it resold on ebay a few weeks later. I wanted it to experiment with not flog on for a profit. but I didn't rant and rave about it...
For example I have quite a few TR82s and a fair few DAC90/90as in my spare room, they have been there for years. I am thinking of selling a few to make some space. I can't remember which set came from where but after what was said in the bulletin if I choose to sell them on ebay myself rather than at a swapmeet ( possibly to then later see them on ebay anyway) if I sell one for more than it owes me that did come from one of the BVWS auctions...
See what I'm saying? The statement was quite comprehensive: "Investigate we will!"
I accept I am being a pedant but I was annoyed when I read that as I have always found the society friendly and I felt it was unfair to have a go at everybody because of a few that bend the rules.
In my experience there will always be some that do as they like anyway and legislation makes little or no difference. ( Chucking them out of the society might, I accept that )
ebay has had a profound effect on swapmeets from all sides, for the larger part anything that is ebay-able is now more expensive or absent from a lot of meetings.
I overheard a discussion at a radio rally a few weeks ago that went something like "how much is that?" " £50. I checked ebay last night and they make that all day long" "yes mate but we're not on ebay are we? We're in a field in Spalding"....
good answer!
Rich.