View Single Post
Old 4th Dec 2017, 8:01 pm   #37
G0HZU_JMR
Dekatron

Default Re: Attenuators - theory and the design of.

Quote:
Do you know what version of DOS that runs on ? I really like vintage DOS programs.
I think it runs OK on all Windows OS from about 1990 through to today. I suspect it will work on DOS versions from around the late 1980s onwards? I use it at work on Win7 and I've used it here at home on everything from DOS to Win8. It runs from the command line. Sadly, I can't distribute it because it has the company name on it on the startup screen.

I think it was written in c by a member of staff who left just before I joined (I joined in 1990) and so I'm using a very 'late' version dated 1990 that may have been tweaked by another member of staff. I keep using it because it is very simple to use. It prints out all the usual values in 1dB steps and then if a custom version is needed then just type in the value. eg 20.6dB. It does have a bug on custom values because it lists the resistor values in the wrong order but this is no big deal. It was a general RF design suite and it also designs inductors, programs old school synthesisers via the parallel port, designs PLL loop filters, programs common DACs and has a classic RF signal path analysis built in for gain/NF/IP3 etc. But I just use it for the attenuator design these days.

I wrote my own suite of RF design programs at around the same time and I did all these in Basic and then converted them to DOS programs using QuickBasic when I joined the company in 1990. So I have a load of command line programs here that I still use every day here at home and at work. They are quick and easy to use for impedance matching or for series/parallel conversion or for general LCRQ calculations.

But see below for a screenshot of the attenuator program. I didn't write this one but I still use it regularly for Pi attenuator design.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	atten.gif
Views:	51
Size:	15.1 KB
ID:	153368  

Last edited by G0HZU_JMR; 4th Dec 2017 at 8:17 pm.